This response is a little late---I'm still re-installing things
after a crash, and am just getting around to the abc programs.

Irwin Oppenheim writes:

>>       The problem---or one of the problems---is simply that this isn't
>> good enough when you care how the output looks. (Not to mention that
the
>> " " notation is way overloaded already...)
>
>I think that "^+" looks quite good in Abcm2ps: nicely
>centered over the notehead.

        The "^+" and "+" both seem to put the plus sign in the same place,
which is over the staff. I'd probably want to experiment, but my
preference would be to have it just above the notehead.  That might
require a different font size to fit.  This would hold for the minus sign
too--tenuto--which I've usually seen placed just above the note, not above
the staff.

>If you want something really special, you can always
>use the %%postscript and %%deco commands, see for
>example: http://www.joods.nl/~chazzanut/abc/deco.html

        This is a very interesting feature.  I'll have to look into it.
The "@ foo" looks useful.  Can it place things relative to a note on the
staff? (As do "> foo" and "< foo"?)

>This gives you ultimate control and freedom, at the
>price of being package dependent.

        Non-portability isn't a problem for me, since I'm using abc2mtex
and its macros---which handle this---for my serious printing, and it's
hard to get less portable than that. However, I'd like to see abc make at
least a part of this official (and therefore portable). I've found it
useful, and I'm sure others will too.

Cheers,
John Walsh