Arent Storm writes:
| From: "I. Oppenheim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
|
| > They are non standard in Western music, but you will
| > find something like [K:D _b _e ^f] often in e.g.
| > Klezmer (Ahavoh Rabboh) or Arabic music (Maqam Hedjaz).
|
| My first thing will always be to remove any non standard
| explicit accidentals, replacing them with inline accidentals
| and inform the player textwise that he/she is playing an unusual
| mode/key. Anyway lots of klezmer tunes change mode/key
| every few bars so the need for non-classical is rather limited IMO.
| The mode/key/accidental stuff is way too complicated for the
| average folk player (in the Netherlands anyway - wer'e not
| so smart you know ;-)

The best comparison I've seen is:  Suppose you were to find
a piece of music written with two sharps (^f^c), and as you
played it, you realized that every G had a sharp added, and
it really was in A major. You'd probably be annoyed, right?

Now, you can't really claim  that  the  music  is  "wrong",
because  all  the  notes  are right.  But there's something
wrong with that key signature.

The reason it's wrong is that what a key  signature  really
should  do is tell you the accidentals that you need to get
the basic scale, and then accidentals are  added  to  notes
that are outside the scale. If something is in A major, you
really should have ^g in the signature, because that's  the
normal note in the scale.

This is the  fundamental  argument  for  non-classical  key
signatures. A tune in D hejaz (or freygish or Ahavoh Rabboh
or whatever) is not G minor,  and  the  F  sharps  are  not
altered notes. The basic scale really goes D _E ^F G A _B c
d, and so those are the notes that the key signature should
give  as the starting point.  Then notes outside that scale
should have accidentals.

Key changes are a confounding issue in any  case.   In  our
original  piece  in  A  major,  we  might  well  have a few
sections that are in D major or B minor.  We could write in
key  changes,  but for short passages, that's silly.  So we
use accidentals for transient key changes, and  change  the
signature only if a long section is in a different key.

The same would probably apply in any musical style.  In the
case of klezmer music, there's a problem that at least four
different scales are in  routine  use,  and  key  or  scale
changes  are  quite  frequent.   In  that  case, the common
approach would be to throw up your hands at  the  mess  (no
matter  how  nice a tune it is), and just pick a simple key
signature.  It's the least messy solution.

When I went through my klezmer stuff and  "declassicalized"
the  key  signatures,  I found that I only wanted a "funny"
key signature in about 1/3 of the  tunes.   The  rest  were
either  in  a classical mode (major, minor, mixolydian), or
were sufficiently mixed-mode that it didn't matter.

But for tunes that really are in a non-classical scale,  it
can  be a lot easier to read the music if the key signature
doesn't lie to you.  Once you get used to such  scales,  of
course.

(And I doubt that the Dutch are any stupider than the  rest
of us.  There are known klezmer musicians in NL ...  ;-)