In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, I. Oppenheim
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>> >What do you mean?
>>
>> Sorry, I abandoned a comment and forgot to complete
>> it. I am thinking of the midline field in Clefs.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean.
>
>[K: clef=bass] or [K: bass] is legal.

Is it? I couldn't find it.

Anyway the midline field attempted to define the middle line of say the
bass clef as D or "D," to avoid too many leger lines. I never liked it
anyway so glad it's gone.

>> I should have said non-Multiple Voiced Music: ie that which does not
>> have any V: fields. All your clef definitions are in the Multiple Voice
>> music section, so how to write the clef for viola music is not clear.
>
>The standard says in the key section:
><<See section Clefs for details how to change the clef
>using the K field.>>
>
>And in the clef section:
><<A clef specification may be provided in K: and V:
>fields.>>
>
>So [K: clef=alto] or [K: alto] will do the job.

Then it should not be a subheading of the Multiple Voices section, but
explicitly part of the K: Key section.

Or at least say "the syntax is

[K: | V:] [clef=] <clef name> .. etc"

I looked in vain for any examples such as you have written above: the
context indicated it was firmly fixed to V: notation.

>I guess I should make this clearer in the standard.

:-)

>> "Strange" key sigs such as the above (while clear in
>> intent) are very non-standard. Are they really
>> necessary? I've never played from one and would
>> actually find it very difficult to play _b ^f
>
>They are non standard in Western music, but you will
>find something like [K:D _b _e ^f] often in e.g.
>Klezmer (Ahavoh Rabboh) or Arabic music (Maqam Hedjaz).
>
>> Anyway: have you abandoned the "global accidentals" idea?
>
>Most people on the list seemed to prefer "explicit
>accidentals" over "global accidentals".

Hm. I didn't see any discussion...

>Of course, we could introduce a %% directive like
>%%global-accidentals 1
>to change the standard interpretation of the [K:]
>field.
>
>Should I add that?

No. I suggest you allow software to create either individual (global)
accidentals or strange key sigs. My own software (to which abc is simply
an add-on importing/exporting module) does not support strange key sigs
so I will have to do this anyway.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland