In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Robinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 05:32:51PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
>>
>> It's quite logical.
>>
>> K:A     has a tonic but no scale information, so we assume major (^f^c^g).
>>
>> K:Amix  has a tonic and a mode; the signature is ^f^c.
>>
>> K:A_B   has a tonic and a key signature, which is _B
>>
>> K:_B    has no tonic, but a signature, which is _B.  Maybe it's F or Dm.
>
>This last has the potential to be misunderstood, I think. The key
>signature would be
>K:Bb ?
>
>Easy to mis-type, or misunderstand.

The distinction between _B and Bb is the same as between a key signature
and an accidental so should be easy for a musician to understand...

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland