On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Abram Demski <abramdem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Without this sort of generality, your approach seems restricted to
> gathering knowledge about whatever events unfold in front of a limited
> quantity of high-quality camera systems which you set up. To be honest, the
> usefulness of that sort of knowledge is not obvious.)

On second thought, this statement was a bit naive. You obviously intend the
camera systems to be connected to robots or other systems which perform
actual tasks in the world, providing a great variety of information
including feedback from success/failure of actions to achieve results.

What is unrealistic to me is not that this information could be useful, but
that this level of real-world intelligence could be achieved with the
super-high confidence bounds you are imagining. What I think is that
probabilistic reasoning is needed. Once we have the object/location/texture
information with those confidence bounds (which I do see as possible),
gaining the sort of knowledge Cyc set out to contain seems inherently
statistical.