Ben:I think that vision and the vision-cognition bridge are important for AGI,
but I think they're only a moderate portion of the problem, and not the hardest
part...

Which is?

From: Ben Goertzel
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 4:57 PM
To: agi
Subject: Re: [agi] How To Create General AI Draft2

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Mike Tintner <tint...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

  Ben: I don't agree that solving vision and the vision-cognition bridge is
*such* a huge part of AGI, though it's certainly a nontrivial percentage

  Presumably because you don't envisage your AGI/computer as an independent
entity? All its info. is going to have to be entered into it in a specially
prepared form - and it's still going to be massively and continuously dependent
on human programmers?

I envisage my AGI as an independent entity, ingesting information from the
world in a similar manner to how humans do (as well as through additional
senses not available to humans)

You misunderstood my statement.  I think that vision and the vision-cognition
bridge are important for AGI, but I think they're only a moderate portion of
the problem, and not the hardest part...

  Humans and real AGI's receive virtually all their info. - certainly all their
internet info - through heavily visual processing (with obvious exceptions like
sound). You can't do maths and logic if you can't see them, and they have
visual forms -  equations and logic have visual form and use visual
ideogrammatic as well as visual numerical signs.

  Just wh. intelligent problemsolving operations is your AGI going to do, that
do NOT involve visual processing OR - the alternative - massive human
assistance to substitute for that processing?

        agi | Archives  | Modify Your Subscription

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC

"I admit that two times two makes four is an excellent thing, but if we are to
give everything its due, two times two makes five is sometimes a very charming
thing too." -- Fyodor Dostoevsky

      agi | Archives  | Modify Your Subscription