--- "John G. Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But what I've been thinking and this is probably just reiterating what
> someone else has worked through but basically a large part of intelligence
> is chaos control, chaos feedback loops, operating within complexity.
> Intelligence is some sort of delicate multi-vectored balancing act between
> complexity and projecting, manipulating, storing/modeling, NN training,
> genetic learning of the chaos and applying chaos in an environment and
> optimizing it's understanding and application of.  The more intelligent, the
> better handle an entity has on the chaos.  An intelligent entity can have
> maximal effect with minimal energy expenditure on its environment in a
> controlled manner; intelligence (or the application of) or even perhaps
> consciousness is the real-time surfing of "buttery effects".

I think the ability to model a chaotic process depends not so much on
"intelligence" (whatever that is) as it does on knowledge of the state of the
environment.  For example, a chaotic process such as x := 4x(1 - x) has a
really simple model.  Your ability to predict x after 1000 iterations depends
only on knowing the current value of x to several hundred decimal places.  It
is this type of knowledge that limits our ability to predict (and therefore
control) the weather.

I think there is a different role for chaos theory.  Richard Loosemore
describes a system as intelligent if it is complex and adaptive.  Shane Legg's
definition of universal intelligence requires (I believe) complexity but not
adaptability.  From a practical perspective I don't think it matters because
we don't know how to build useful, complex systems that are not adaptive.  For
example, large software projects (code + human programmers) are adaptive in
the sense that you can make incremental changes to the code without completely
breaking the system, just as we incrementally update DNA or neural
connections.

One counterexample is a mathematical description of a cryptographic system.
Any change to the system renders any prior analysis of its security invalid.
Such systems are necessarily brittle.  Out of necessity, we build systems that
have mathematical descriptions simple enough to analyze.

Stuart Kaufmann [1] noted that complex systems such as DNA tend to evolve to
the boundary between stability and chaos, e.g. a Lyapunov exponent near 1 (or
its approximation in discrete systems).  I believe this is because overly
stable systems aren't very complex (can't solve hard problems) and overly
chaotic systems aren't adaptive (too brittle).

[1] Kauffman, Stuart A., “Antichaos and Adaptation”, Scientific American, Aug.
1991, p. 64.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]