Ed,

That is probably a good rough estimate. There are more headers for the more
frequently transmitted smaller messages but a 16 byte header may be a bit
large.

Here is a speedtest link -
http://www.speedtest.net/

My Comcast cable from Denver to NYC tests at 3537 kb/sec DL and 1588 kb/sec
UL much larger than the calculations 256kb/sec. The variance between tests
to the same location is quite large on the DL side but UL is relatively
stable. Saturating either DL or UL would impact the other.

You can get higher efficiencies if you use UDP transmission without message
serialization. Also you can do things like compression, only sending
changes, etc..

Distributed crawling with NL learning fits the scenario well since nodes
download at higher speeds, process the download into a smaller dataset, then
UL communicate the results to the server or share with peers. When one peer
shares with many peers you hit the UL limit fast though so it has to be
managed. And you have to figure out how the knowledge will be spread out -
server centric, shared, hybrid... As the knowledge size increases with peer
storage you have to come up with distributed indexes.

John