RL: One thing that can be easily measured is the "activation" of lexical
items related in various ways to a presented word (i.e. show the subject
the word "Doctor" and test to see if the word "Nurse" gets activated).
It turns out that within an extremely short time of the forst word being
seen, a very large numbmer of other words have their activations raised
significantly.  Now, whichever way you interpret these (so called
"priming") results, one thing is not in doubt:  there is massively
parallel activation of lexical units going on during language processing.

Thanks for reply. How many associations are activated? How do we know neuroscientifically they are associations to the words being processed and not something else entirely? Out of interest, can you give me a ball park estimate of how many associations you personally think are activated, say, in in a few seconds, in processing sentences like:

"The doctor made a move on the nurse."
"Relationships between staff in health organizations are fraught with complexities"

No, I'm not trying to be ridiculously demanding or asking you to be ridiculously exact. As you probably know by now, I see the processing of sentences as involving several levels, especially for the second sentence, but I don't see the number of associations as that many. Let's be generous and guess hundreds for the items in the above sentences. But a computer program, as I understand, will be typically searching through anywhere between thousands, millions and way upwards.

On the one hand, we can perhaps agree that one of the brain's glories is that it can very rapidly draw analogies - that I can quickly produce a string of associations like, say, "snake", "rope," "chain", "spaghetti strand," - and you may quickly be able to continue that string with further associations, (like "string"). I believe that power is mainly based on "look-up" - literally finding matching shapes at speed. But I don't see the brain as checking through huge numbers of such shapes. (It would be enormously demanding on resources, given that these are complex pictures, no?).

As evidence , I'd point to what happens if you try to keep producing further analogies. The brain rapidly slows down. It gets harder and harder. And yet you will be able to keep producing further examples from memory virtually for ever - just slower and slower. Relevant images/ concepts are there, but it's not easy to access them. That's why copywriters get well paid to, in effect, keep searching for similar analogies ("as cool/refreshing as..."). It's hard work. If that many relevant shapes were being unconsciously activated as you seem to be suggesting, it shouldn't be such protracted work.

The brain can literally connect any thing to any other thing with, so to speak, 6 degrees of separation - but I don't think it can conect that many things at once.

I accept that this is still neuroscientifically an open issue, (& I'd be grateful for pointers to the research you're referring to). But I would have thought it obvious that the brain has massively inferior search capabilities to those of computers - that, surely, is a major reasonwhy we invented computers in the first place - they're a massive extension of our powers.

And yet the brain can draw analogies, and basically, with minor exceptions, computers still can't. I think it's clear that computers won't catch up here by quantitatively increasing their powers still further. If you're digging a hole in the wrong place, digging further & quicker won't help. (I'm arguing a variant of your own argument against Edward P!). But of course when your education and technology dispose you to dig in just those places, it's extremely hard to change your ways - or even believe, pace Edward, that change is necessary at all. After all, look at the size of those holes.. surely, we'll hit the Promised Land anytime now.

P.S. In general, the brain is hugely irrational - it can only maintain a reflective, concentrated train of thought for literally seconds, not minutes before going off at tangents. It continually and necessarily jumps to conclusions. Such irrationality is highly adaptive in a fast-moving world where you can't hang around thinking about things for long. The idea that this same brain is systematically, thoroughly searching through, let's say, thousands or millions of variants on ideas, seems to me seriously at odds with this irrationality. (But I'm interested in all relevant research).