Mike,

As I said before, you give "symbol" a very narrow meaning, and insist
that it is the only way to use it. In the current discussion,
"symbols" are not 'X', 'Y', 'Z', but 'table', 'time', 'intelligence'.
BTW, what images you associate with the latter two?

Since you prefer to use person as example, let me try the same. All of
my experience about 'Mike Tintner' is symbolic, nothing visual, but it
still makes you real enough to me, and I've got more information about
you than a photo of you can provide. For instance, this experience
tells me that to argue this issue with you will very likely be a waste
of time, which is something that no photo can teach me. I still cannot
pick you out in a lineup, but it doesn't mean your name is meaningless
to me.

I'm sorry if it sounds rude --- I rarely talk to people in this tone,
but you are exceptional, in my experience of personal communication.
Again, the meaning of your name, in my mind, is not the person it
refers, but its relations with other concepts in my experience, this
experience can either be visual, verbal, or something else.

Pei