Matt,

>Suppose you write a program that inputs jokes or cartoons and outputs whether
>or not they are funny. Then there is an iterative process by which you can
>create funny jokes or cartoons. Write a program that inputs a movie and
>outputs a rating of 1 to 5 stars. Then you have an iterative process for
>creating good movies.

The system first needs to parse the input and translate it into its
KR. For movies - no way at this point because of technology
limitations (even if we had KR format that could well express it).
Jokes in NL - still a problem (decades of trouble with NL as you know
- & there is a good reason for that). Jokes in a formal language -
that could work IF we get the KR right. There are many types of Jokes.
Each type has its algorithm and the algorithms can be combined. Simple
algorithm example: Comparison of 2 objects which have some of the same
(or very similar) characteristics. Emphasizing the similarity (=
Optional part 1.). Then applying non-identical characteristic(s) of
object1 in an action taken by the object2 ("pretending" that the
object2 also has that characteristic) and deriving a result which is
in contrast with the result we would get if it was for real. (= Part
2.). If you have lots of data and a decent KR then you can query it
for data to fill joke templates (+ use various modifiers for
uniqueness), detect and rate jokes. Funny stuff is often based on
contrast & unexpected turns. Also certain creatures (like ducks) have
often a better potential than others. And of course, there are also
certain things in particular societies you need to avoid. If the
system gets feedback & joke samples, it can tweak/generate its joke
templates (always considering info about the audience) and get better.
Decent KR - that's the first thing.

Regards,
Jiri Jelinek