Hi,

> > What this highlights for me is the idea that NARS truth values attempt
> > to reflect the evidence so far, while probabilities attempt to reflect
> > the world

I agree that probabilities attempt to reflect the world

> .
>
> Well said. This is exactly the difference between an
> experience-grounded semantics and a model-theoretic semantics.

I don't agree with this distinction ... unless you are construing "model
theoretic semantics" in a very restrictive way, which then does not apply to
PLN.

If by model-theoretic semantics you mean something like what Wikipedia says
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_semantics,

***
*Model-theoretic
semantics<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Model-theoretic_semantics&action=edit&redlink=1>
* is the archetype of Alfred
Tarski<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Tarski>'s
semantic theory of
truth<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_theory_of_truth>,
based on his T-schema <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-schema>, and is one of
the founding concepts of model
theory<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_theory>.
This is the most widespread approach, and is based on the idea that the
meaning of the various parts of the propositions are given by the possible
ways we can give a recursively specified group of interpretation functions
from them to some predefined mathematical domains: an
interpretation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretation_%28logic%29>of
first-order
predicate logic
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-order_predicate_logic>is given by
a mapping from terms to a universe of
individuals <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual>, and a mapping from
propositions to the truth values "true" and "false".
***

then yes, PLN's semantics is based on a mapping from terms to a universe of
individuals, and a mapping from propositions to truth values.  On the other
hand, these "individuals" may be for instance **elementary sensations or
actions**, rather than higher-level individuals like, say, a specific cat,
or the concept "cat".  So there is nothing non-experience-based about
mapping terms into a "individuals" that are the system's direct experience
... and then building up more abstract terms by grouping these
directly-experience-based terms.

IMO, the dichotomy between experience-based and model-based semantics is a
misleading one.  Model-based semantics has often been used in a
non-experience-based way, but that is not because it fundamentally **has**
to be used in that way.

To say that PLN tries to model the world, is then just to say that it tries
to make probabilistic predictions about sensations and actions that have not
yet been experienced ... which is certainly the case.

> Once
> again, the difference in truth-value functions is reduced to the
> difference in semantics, what is, what the "truth-value" attempts to
> measure.

Agreed...

Ben G