We all know that no body of theories has yet solved the major AI
problems that confront us at this time.

I feel that the discussions about methodologies that may be
theoretically sound or reasonable but not proven to be completely
effective in application should include discussion about the potential
problems that might be associated with them.

If there have been some results gathered through testing, then we
would all benefit with a discussion of some of the cases where the
principles did not work properly.  On the other hand, if there have
not been enough experimental results from application problems to make
insightful criticisms, then the proprietors and enthusiasts should
have the intellectual integrity to express some of the reservations
they may have had about their theories.  This seems like a sensible
working principle.

That is not to say that an advocate has to accept all possible
criticisms as being equal in value.  But when an advocate is not able
to present or acknowledge any reasonable criticism about his still
unsubstantiated theories, it looks like a negative indicator about the
generality and efficacy of those theories.

I know that we all have to deal with criticisms.  But using a critical
examination of the theories or criticisms that you are advocating is a
step higher than just defending your theories from any criticism.

Jim Bromer