On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Charles Hixson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Galileo, Bruno of Nolan, etc.
> OTOH, Paracelsus was quite personable.  So was, reputedly, Pythagoras.  (No
> good evidence on Pythagoras, though.  Only stories from supporters.)  (Also,
> consider that the Pythagoreans, possibly including Pythagoras, had a guy put
> to death for discovering that sqrt(2) was irrational.  [As with most things
> from this date, this is more legend than fact, but is quite probable.])
>
> As a generality, with many exceptions, strongly opinionated persons are not
> easy to get along with unless you agree with their opinions.  It appears to
> be irrelevant whether their opinions are right, wrong, or undecidable.

I just want to comment that my original post was not about
agreeableness. It was about the necessity of being capable of
criticizing your own theories (and criticisms).  I just do not believe
that Newton, Galileo, Pythagoras and the rest of them were incapable
of examining their own theories from critical vantage points even
though they may have not accepted the criticisms others derived from
different vantage points.  As I said, there is no automatic equality
for criticisms.  Just because a theory is unproven it does not mean
that all criticisms have to be accepted as equally valid.

But when you see someone, theorist or critic, who almost never
demonstrates any genuine capacity for reexamining his own theories or
criticisms from any critical vantage point what so ever, then it's a
strong negative indicator.

Jim Bromer