From: Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [agi] Updated AGI proposal (CMR v2.1)
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Date: Monday, October 13, 2008, 8:33 PM

Hi,

OK, I read the supposed refutation of recursive self-improvement at

http://www.mattmahoney.net/rsi.html

There are at least three extremely major problems with the argument.

1)
By looking only at algorithmic information (defined in terms of program length)
and ignoring runtime complexity, you are ignoring much of the value to be
achieved via RSI.

Suppose program P1 can solve problems of class C and size 500 in 3 hours per
problem.   Then, suppose P1 spends 50 hours transforming itself into a new
program,P2, that can solve problems of class C and size 500 in one second per
problem.

Furthermore, suppose the RAM available in the machine at hand cannot hold
bothP1 and P2 at the same time.

In this case, it's obvious there's a huge advantage involved in P1 replacing
itself withP2 ... if solving problems of class C is important for P1 achieving
its goals, and if P2 is oriented toward achieving the same goal.

Your argument is blind to this advantage because it ignores runtime
complexity.  Your argument is fixated on the fact that P2 can be generated by
information consistingof {P1 plus the data P1 has observed} ... but so what?
Program length is not, initself, all that useful thing to be looking at in the
context of real-world computing.  We need to be thinking about both space and
time complexity.

2)
You don't consider the program as interacting with an environment.  IMO you
shouldbe using the mathematical setup that Hutter uses in his main theorems
about AIXI and AIXItl.  In this setup, the AI is an agent that takes actions in
an environment, which then responds to its actions.

Furthermore, you should enhance Hutter's setup to consider the case where the
agenthas not only fixed RAM (together potentially with a larger amount of
memory that is slower to access), but also has processing cycle that is defined
in terms of the "cycle time" of the environment, so that it only gets N
internal processing cycles per each opportunity to sense/act.

Considering the argument in this kind of more realistic setting, the critical
importance of runtime as I noted above would immediately become apparent.

3)

You don't consider that a smarter program might be able to figure out ways to
increase its processor speed or RAM capacity, thus breaking your theoretical
assumptions altogether.  In this case, P2 could have an arbitrarily larger
algorithmic information than P1, contradicting your result (by using a
different, more realistic assumption).

In short, what you have shown is that, according to an uninteresting measure
(algorithmic
information), RSI is not very dramatically useful in an artificial situation
(no environment,
no restrictions on processor cycle consumption, no ability for intelligence to
lead to hardware modification).

-- Ben G