Hi YKY,

If your code will be open source lisp, then I have a few points learned from my
experience at Cycorp.

(1)  Franz has a very good Common Lisp (Allegro) IDE for Windows and Linux, but
is closed source
(2) Steel Bank Common Lisp is open source, derived from CMU Common Lisp.
Recent SBCL versions include an IDE but I have no experience with that.
(3) Franz has a run-time license fee for applications used in a commercial
environment
(4) Cycorp developed with Allegro lisp but wrote their own runtime to avoid the
Franz runtime fee, and to achieve smaller image size plus higher (2x)
performance.
(5) Cyc also ran on CMU Common Lisp
(6) Cycorp implemented Cyc as an HTTP server in order to avoid writing any
potentially non-portable GUI code in lisp
(7) Scheme is a lisp dialect but I have no experience with it

I have chosen Java for my own work because compared to lisp it is much faster,
and there is a vast community of open source libraries that can be glued into a
Java project.  When I wrote a like-performing version of Fluid Construction
Grammar in Java, it was 5x faster than the original (Allegro) Common Lisp
version whose object structure and behavior I closely followed.  Given your
commitment to lisp I suggest that you if you care about performance then you
should stay away from using nested lists as a data structure when a specific
object type suffices.

I also learned at Cycorp that performance is important, and that algorithm
design trumps implementation language and even CPU speed.

Cheers.
-Steve

 Stephen L. Reed

Artificial Intelligence Researcher