--- On Sun, 10/19/08, Samantha Atkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matt Mahoney wrote:
> > There is
> > currently a global brain (the world economy) with an IQ of
> > around 10^10, and approaching 10^12.
>
> Oh man.  It is so tempting in today's economic morass
> to point out the
> obvious stupidity of this purported super-super-genius.
> Why would you
> assign such an astronomical intelligence to the economy?

Without the economy, or the language and culture needed to support it, you
would be foraging for food and sleeping in the woods. You would not know that
you could grow crops by planting seeds, or that you could make a spear out of
sticks and rocks and use it for hunting. There is a 99.9% chance that you would
starve because the primitive earth could only support a few million humans, not
a few billions.

I realize it makes no sense to talk of an IQ of 10^10 when current tests only
go to about 200. But by any measure of goal achievement, such as dollars earned
or number of humans that can be supported, the global brain has enormous
intelligence. It is a known fact that groups of humans collectively make more
accurate predictions than their members, e.g. prediction markets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_market
Such markets would not work if the members did not individually think that they
were smarter than the group (i.e. disagree). You may think you could run the
government better than current leadership, but it is a fact that people are
better off (as measured by GDP and migration) in democracies than
dictatorships. Group decision making is also widely used in machine learning,
e.g. the PAQ compression programs.

> How much of the advancement of humanity is the
> result of a relatively few exceptionally bright minds
> rather than the  billions of lesser intelligences?

Very little, because agents at any intelligence level cannot detect higher
intelligence. Socrates was executed. Galileo was arrested. Even today, there is
a span of decades between pioneering scientific work and its recognition with a
Nobel prize. So I don't expect anyone to recognize the intelligence of the
economy. But your ability to read this email depends more on circuit board
assemblers in Malaysia than you are willing to give the world credit for.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]