Jim,

Yours is the prevailing view in the industry. However, it doesn't seem to
work. Even given months of time to analyze past failures, they are often
unable to divine rules that would have reliably avoided the problems. In
short, until you adequately understand the system that your sensors are
sensing, all the readings in the world won't help. Further, when a system is
fundamentally unstable, you must have a control system that completely deals
with the instability, or it absolutely will fail. The present system meets
neither of these criteria.

There is another MAJOR issue. Presuming a power control center in the middle
of the U.S., the round-trip time at the speed of light to each coast is
~16ms, or two half-cycles at 60Hz. In control terms, that is an eternity.
Distributed control requires fundamental stability to function reliably.
Times can be improved by having separate control systems for each coast, but
the interface would still have to meet fundamental stability criteria (like
limiting the rates of change), and our long coasts would still require a
full half-cycle of time to respond.

Note that faults must be responded to QUICKLY to save the equipment, and so
cannot be left to central control systems to operate.

So, we end up with the system we now have, that does NOT meet reasonable
stability criteria. Hence, we may forever have occasional outages until the
system is radically re-conceived.

Steve