I've made two ultra-brilliant statements in the past few days.  One is that
a concept can simultaneously be both precise and vague.  And the other is
that without judgement even opinions are impossible.  (Ok, those two
statements may not be ultra-brilliant but they are brilliant right?  Ok,
maybe not truly brilliant,  but highly insightful and
perspicuously intelligent... Or at least interesting to the cognoscenti
maybe?.. Well, they were interesting to me at least.)

Ok, these two interesting-to-me comments made by me are interesting because
they suggest that we do not know how to program a computer even to create
opinions.  Or if we do, there is a big untapped difference between those
programs that show nascent judgement (perhaps only at levels relative to the
domain of their capabilities) and those that don't.

This is AGI programmer's utopia.  (Or at least my utopia).  Because I need
to find something that is simple enough for me to start with and which can
lend itself to develop and test theories of AGI judgement and scalability.
By allowing an AGI program to participate more in the selection of its own
primitive 'interests' we will be able to interact with it, both as
programmer and as user, to guide it toward selecting those interests which
we can understand and seem interesting to us.  By creating an AGI program
that has a faculty for primitive judgement (as we might envision such an
ability), and then testing the capabilities in areas where the program seems
to work more effectively, we might be better able to develop more
powerful AGI theories that show greater scalability, so long as we are able
to understand what interests the program is pursuing.

Jim Bromer