On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:45:52PM -0400, hymie! wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 04:14:25PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 02:24:52PM -0400, hy...@lactose.homelinux.net wrote:
> > > I'm trying to figure out a way to split my two largest DLEs (one is
> > > 100GB and the other is about 60GB) into several smaller ones.
> > >
> > Do you mean you do not understand the mechanics of splitting a DLE
> > or that you do not know what pieces to split off.  The former we
> > can give some direction.  For the latter the "du -s" command can
> > be used to find the size of subdirs.  For example, "du -sh /home/*"
> > would tell you the size of each homedir.
>
> I mean that I don't know, for a fact, that
>
> michelle-laptop michelle-A /cygdrive/c/Users {
>         simple-gnutar-remote
>         exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/MyConfig/exclude/michelle-laptop"
>         include "./michelle/[A-CE-Za-ce-z]*"
>         estimate calcsize
>         }
>
> will do what I want it to do.

Look in the index directory for your config and examine the list of
files it backed up in a level 0 dump.

> ... .  Can I have an "include" and an "exclude"
> at the same time?  Does the order matter?  Does Windows and/or Cygwin
> work the way I expect Unix to work?

Certainly you can have both.  An "include" effectively says exclude
everything except what I specifically include.  In that case, the
excludes only affect what is included.  I do not think order matters,
but I would probably put the include first.

> I mean that I don't yet know exactly **how** small I want these DLEs
> to be.  These are doing backups over wifi, and it's not very good
> wifi to begin with.  I don't want the backups to take 24 hours;
> I don't want them to take 8 hours if I can help it.
>
> These are, for the most part, single-user machines.  It's not a matter
> of /home/* , it's a matter of /home/hymie/[A-Z]* vs /home/hymie/Downloads
> (which by itself is 18GB) vs /home/hymie/[m-z]* .

I've got two DLEs being backed up over wifi.  Their sizes are 11 & 4GB.
After client compression they are 4 and 3GB, that is the size of data
transfered over the wifi.  Most recently their dumps took 38 and 29 min,
basically 10 min per GB transferred.  YMMV.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)