I think I could care less about the number of downloads from a place
such as the Amazon store - it would take really amazing download rates
for a free app to make back the $99 fee in any reasonable amount of
time, and I just don't see where this is possible, unless Amazon has
made some exclusive agreements with major carriers to place their
market on millions of phones.

It may make sense for paid apps (without a doubt, purchasing through
Amazon would be more acceptable to many users than purchasing through
Google Checkout + you have almost worldwide sales coverage).
Certainly, if any independent market can compete with the Android
market it would be Amazon, but I think they've shot themselves in the
foot with the initial entry fee. That is going to keep a lot of the
small developers from making the jump across -> fewer apps -> less
chance that customers will take them seriously.

Quality control is a good thing, but the registration fee just feels
like a way of turning a profit on developers irrespective of sales.
They should have made their initial offer of registration be free to
the best/most popular apps to build up a good stable of apps for the
launch - and then considered a registration fee afterward (as you say
- if the sales are there, the developers will follow). If the
registration was free, I don't think I would think twice about putting
my free apps on there. As is, I'm still looking for additional
information, like the OP.

Regards,

Michael A.