On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Nathan <critter...@crittermap.com> wrote:

> They will get free apps without it being their priority. The $99 isn't
> per app, is it? A developer with paid and free apps will probably put
> both in there. And free apps that generate sufficient revenue through
> ads etc. will also make their way there.

That's actually my point. Free app developers will only put their app in a
store charging $99 fee if they can generate sufficient revenue and without a
whole lot of users, that isn't going to happen.

> This I don't buy. We developers overestimate our own importance. And
> lots of people overestimate the importance of the sheer number of
> apps.

If you check the comments users make about Android Market vs. other markets,
it's all about the number of apps.

> Would an Amazon customer not buy a device because it only has 10,000
> apps instead of 100,000?

10K of apps is a lot but if it were only 1K, no I don't many think people
would buy it.

> If Amazon made its next Kindle an Android device, lots of people would
> buy it because of one app only: Kindle.

Sure, if they distributed it on such an e-reader device, it would generate
users of even a handful of apps. People looking for a primary Android device
or tablet, would just ignore it.