On Oct 4, 3:43 pm, Shane Isbell <shane.isb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Nathan <critter...@crittermap.com> wrote:
>
> If you check the comments users make about Android Market vs. other markets,
> it's all about the number of apps.

Yep, those are the people I'm talking about. Listening to them, I'm
surprised that anybody would buy an Android phone instead of an iPhone
back when it had a measly 70,000 apps. Forget that most people won't
use more than 100.

How many end users actually choose their market, though? I suspect
most people use what is on their device. It's device manufacturers
that are choosing the market for their device.

If Amazon thinks end users are going to stop using the Android Market
and install the Amazon Market instead, they are stupid. But Amazon is
not stupid, so I doubt that is their whole plan.

> > Would an Amazon customer not buy a device because it only has 10,000
> > apps instead of 100,000?
>
> 10K of apps is a lot but if it were only 1K, no I don't many think people
> would buy it.

Based on your estimates, they would get 13.7K.

> > If Amazon made its next Kindle an Android device, lots of people would
> > buy it because of one app only: Kindle.
>
> Sure, if they distributed it on such an e-reader device, it would generate
> users of even a handful of apps. People looking for a primary Android device
> or tablet, would just ignore it.

I'm not assuming that Amazon would be stupid enough to release an
Android tablet that's useful only for books. They should, and do, see
the IPad as their competitor.

I do not think Amazon Market will overtake the Android Market on
phones. Carriers would boot it out before Amazon did, not that I like
that idea.

But most tablets are not Google certified and are not eligible for the
Android Market. Amazon market would be a good alternative, and it
would certainly be on any Amazon branded tablet.

I'd be asking myself "how many devices is it on" not "how many apps
does it already have".

Nathan