I got a question for you guys. Assuming you know how and have the means to
set up a server.. why can't you have your app send a "code" or something to
this server.. to verify its a valid copy. If the copy that is out on those
hosting sites has the same code.. you can at least have your app hit the
server and if the code provided is ALREADY registered.. send back a "nope..
you are not allowed" code. Have your app indicate this message to the user,
and the user can contact you if need be, but explain that someone else
already registered with this code so you're code is invalid indicating a
pirated version. Is this not allowed? I mean, if you specify internet
permissions, you are basically getting the OK from the user to use the
internet. It would hamper your app to require internet at least the first
time it's run tho.

Is there any help from google in the way of being able to figure out whose
purchased your app off the market? I mean, if you get 500 sells on the
market, but have 7000 hits to your server.. there is something wrong.

What about knowing if your app was installed from the market, or from the SD
card? Any chance of knowing that? Is there any steps during installation we
developers can take to figure out if it was installed from market or not?
That may help us ensure that our app is only functional if installed from
the market. I imagine that that pirated sites may have people who
reverse-engineer the app and defeat this.. but not sure they go to that
extent.. yet.