For what it's worth, the piracy issue was a real eye-opener for me
when I released my first iPhone app. The app included a web service
which simply logged an anonymous user ID on my site so I could
distinguish between users. The ratio of paying to pirated users was
staggering. After awhile I also adopted the approach Mark Murphy
stated a few posts above. Don't worry about the piracy too much, they
probably wouldn't have paid for your app anyway. Try to find a
different model which doesn't depend on the up-front sale of the app
to support yourself.

That being said, I agree that some pressure should be kept on sites
distributing pirated copies so it doesn't get completely out of
control.

Good luck all.