> I've had many people tell me, "I believe you that
> aolserver is faster and more efficient than xxx
> webserver, but with php there is a vast repository of
> scripts and documents that allow me to not have to
> reinvent the wheel to do a simple thing."  Of course,
> the end result of that logic is a sucky site, but it
> is an example of most people I've gotten to start
> using aolserver who say the availability of technical
> documentation for aolserver is just not up to snuff in
> comparison to other weaker webservers, and that can
> have an effect on final decisions (unfortunately).

This is mildly off-topic, but sometimes my curmudgeonly nature gets the better of me.
My wife worked for a while consulting
on mechanical engineering with GM.  General Motors, not genetically modified...  The
car people.  For every model of car, GM
*does* reinvent the wheel.  And the headlight.  And the fender.  And everything else
in the car.  The same general principles
apply to each design, but the design is always different.  That's why the car looks
and functions as a coherent unit.  The
moral of the story is that wheels often need reinventing, even though you need some
design guidelines from previous efforts.

This is what I tell people when they use the phrase "reinventing the wheel."  And it's
not even close to germane to the
current topic.  So carry on.

By the way, I agree.  The AOLserver documentation sucks.  That's because we're all
geniuses who don't really need
documentation.  Periodically one or more of us gets a bee in a bonnet to redo or at
least improve the documentation, and
eventually I'm sure something will come of it.

Michael