Microsoft will always own the NT server market and there will be a
miniscule following for AS on NT.  A survey would likely show that the
number of active AS users (users, not IP addresses) is already tiny
compared to Apache and IIS.  As a product with a smallish audience, it
makes a lot of sense to focus on doing the best thing for 99% of the
userbase rather than investing in things that will benefit 1% of the
userbase and at the same time potentially harm the 99% because of
added complexity, less time to test on the Unix platforms because of
testing on Win platforms, more tech support required for Win platforms
because of less use/less testing/fewer users beating on it, etc.

Not trying to start a flame war here - I know everyone has their likes
and dislikes when it comes to computing platforms.

I'd really like to see a survey done of how many active AOLServer
users there are, what platforms they're using, and so on.  Maybe I'll
get around to doing it one of these days.  I think the results would
make decisions like these crystal clear.  Maybe I'll have time to
do it one of these daze...

Jim