We've also randomly seen this "unable to alloc <number between 1-2M>
bytes" error message when starting 3.4.  In our case, it's not a VM
resource problem - it's some other kind of weirdness.  It displays
this message, exits, init respawns it, then it starts okay.  Probably
not at all related to your situation, since you're getting 100
processes...