On Thursday 09:25 AM 8/21/2008, Tom Jackson wrote:
Why put newly created
files into a cache, if the point of the cache is to handle static files?
We can wait for evidence that it is static. In this case, we can wait
until it is a few seconds old, at least.

This is a very good point, actually. Initially I didn't think having the value be configurable was a good way to go--it should just be set to 1, since that's the threshold value (yeah, I used 2 out of an excess of caution, but 1 would have worked fine and would probably have created less confusion).

But having this as a configurable (something like fastpath.min_cache_age?) would give people the ability to say: do NOT cache anything unless it's at least X seconds old. Which actually does seem like a genuinely useful thing on its own (completely independent of this issue), since it would allow people to prevent new/"dynamic" files from kicking good data out of the cache. And enforcing a minimum value of 1 would serve the dual purpose of resolving this problem as well.

- John