Yes.  I'm using it with OpenACS.  It's been driving me crazy for days
now.  May I ask how you setup nginx and aolserver?  That would help
immensely.

I also suppose I could achieve the same by setting up apache before
aolserver.  Would be nice though to understand what's going wrong with
OpenACS and AOLserver.

Brian, the link you provided, I think deals with adp gzip compression
on AOLserver 4.5, so I'm not sure if it's even applicable on 4.0.10.