I've had to deal with Chinese Characters and Postgres.  I don't recall all the
details anymore but I do recall what Peter is saying, that Tcl was a culprit
more than the database.

I would use sqlplus to check what myform.tcl is inserting into the database.
That will at least tell you whether Tcl is munging it on the way in or the way
out (could be both) and give you a place to start tweaking.

janine

---
Janine Ohmer (formerly Sisk)
President/CEO of furfly, LLC