From: AOLserver Discussion [mailto:AOLSERVER@LISTSERV.AOL.COM] On Behalf Of
Jim Davidson
Sent: 03 August 2011 21:21
To: AOLSERVER@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] Progress in Aolserver

Hi,

As Dossy mentioned, we spent some time trying to support the win32 port.
That included a goofy Tcl-based config thing (which also helped to verify a
workable Tcl installation) and a dose of ifdef's and compatibility code.  In
general, the AOLserver code base is decidedly Unix -- any Win32 specific
stuff is made to make Win32 look like Unix (i.e., the thread library,
directly reading emulations, etc).

I could take a look again but suspect it will take me a day or more just to
the muck of Win32 development working again on my Mac.  Given the quality of
the various virtualization stuff (VMware, Virtual Box, etc.), would it be
smarter to just double down on Unix and spend some time with some bundled
Unix-in-box for Windows type installs?

-Jim

On Aug 3, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Dossy Shiobara wrote:

> I speak only for myself ...
>
> I personally have thoughtfully cared for the Windows support in AOLserver
-- once upon a time, I had built the Windows binaries that some folks were
using. Through discussions I had with Jim Davidson, the new build mechanism
for AOLserver 4.5.x was meant to make building AOLserver on Windows easier
than it had been in the past.

> I suspect that any recent changes to AOLserver which cause it to no longer
build cleanly on Windows is likely an act of ignorance (i.e., not knowing
what will or won't work on Windows) than an act of malice (i.e., not caring
about Windows). My guess is that the folks who contribute changes do not
have the means to test their changes on a Windows platform.

> It would be fantastic if the people who use AOLserver on Windows could
port the changes such that they also work on Windows, either by replacing
changes with more portable code, or providing the necessary
platform-specific implementation surrounded by #ifdef __WIN32__ as needed,
etc.

> On 8/3/11 1:19 PM, Maurizio Martignano wrote:
>> By looking at the code I have the feeling that the interest in
>> supporting Windows is fading down.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Any opinion?

> To Remove yourself from this list, simply send an email to
> <lists...@listserv.aol.com> with the body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the
email message. You can leave the Subject: field of your email blank.