Hello Evan and everybody,

Coming from my perspective, where we are now having to cope without DPA for
storing Bramley (culinary) apples, I must say that is it proving tricky, but we
are managing, through use of 1-MCP combined with more complex (and expensive
and risky) storage regimes. So I would say it is technically possible to keep
apples without DPA or ethoxyquin, which we also can’t use, but ironically it
mitigates against the smaller grower, and in favour of the larger ones (big
ag?) who can afford the higher tech gear.

It is ironic that scaring people about pesticide residues on fresh foods
(especially fruits) actually causes people to eat more processed foods (as
though their ingredients do not also get pesticide treatments), as the studies
linking better health with fruit consumption are studies conducted with
conventionally grown fruits with their pesticide residues (if they are not
residue free). In other words, the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables are
there in black and white, even if those fruits and vegetables have residues. It
is far less healthy to switch to a candy bar from an apple, even if that apple
has some residue (so long as that is below permitted levels). However, this is
not a message we can send out, so we are left grappling when emails like this
from EWG are circulated.

The joke of what EWG seems to be doing is producing a dirty dozen or clean
fifteen list is that those lists say nothing at all about the risk of a
pesticide residue on the particular apple in your fruit-bowl. You could be
eating a residue-free fruit from among the “dirty dozen”, or one covered in
pesticide from among the “clean fifteen”.

Despite the differences in regulations between Europe and the US (and I favour
in general the less permissive, more cautious European standards, despite
having to work within their restrictions), our agriculture here is constantly
increasing in scale, and resembles more and more what would be our stereotyped
image of US industrial agriculture. That is because the regulations have more
in common than what separates them, and farming is becoming more and more like
a business, and less like a passion.

I am personally not a fan of industrial agriculture, although I employ mostly
similar methods. However, motivation is a key factor, and for me, the
motivation is not profit maximisation. For the industrial model is about profit
before all else, and that is not a suitable way for the World to produce its
food.

However, as long as Joe public takes the attitude that 7% of their disposable
income is what they will spend on food (that is the Irish %), then agriculture
will continue to become more industrial, as for me that is not a percentage
that can support the production of produce and foods that consumers might feel
more comfortable buying, and might be able to have more confidence in.

So, instead of sending 45 bucks to Ken Cook, I would suggest that Joe public
either sends it to a principled (and hopefully small-scale) farmer someplace
near them, or better still, buys a few fruit trees or invests in a few packets
of seeds, and grows their own pesticide-free produce.

Con Traas
European (Irish) Apple Grower