You can download a ppm file from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arsperl/files/

Open the "All files -> arsperl -> 1.90" tree item and download
"ARSperl_190_701.zip", which is ARSperl 1.90 compiled against the 7.0.1
ARS API, but should work nonetheless with a 7.1 server.

If you want to compile 1.91 yourself, you do indeed need to have the ARS
API libraries. Those are available at

http://arswiki.org/projects/arapi

Regards,
Thilo