I've been migrating most of my software/scripts over to GFF3, and have
encountered a possible bug with Artemis (v11) on Linux x86_64.

When the GFF3 has multiple sequences in the ##FASTA section, Artemis dies with:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException:
uk.ac.sanger.artemis.io.EmblStreamFeature
        at
uk.ac.sanger.artemis.io.GFFDocumentEntry.combineGeneFeatures(GFFDocumentEntry.java:166)
        at
uk.ac.sanger.artemis.io.GFFDocumentEntry.<init>(GFFDocumentEntry.java:75)

However, if i REMOVE the >region00001 sequence so there is only the
one >Seq sequence, all is ok. The extra sequences in the ##FASTA
section are commonly used to store CDS translations, or when the GFF
covers lots of sequences eg. contigs in an assembly.

I have attached a .GFF3 file which causes this (and inlined it below
for completeness).

##gff-version 3
Seq     vbc     region  20      60      .       +       .
ID=region00001;product=Junk DNA
##FASTA
>Seq
ATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGC
>region00001
GCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATG

Thank you.

--
--Torsten Seemann
--Victorian Bioinformatics Consortium, Dept. Microbiology, Monash