Hi Alex.

It's relative straightforward to parse the "coords" file output by
NUCmer/PROmer (which is produced when you specify the --coords flag on
the command line), and produce something resembling the BLAST m8 format
that ACT expects.

Here is some example Perl code for NUCmer:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use warnings;
use strict;
while (<>) {last if /^=+/};
while (<>) {
      $_=~s/\|//g;
      my @split=split;
      next if defined $split[9] and $split[9]=~/SHADOWED|DUPLICATE/;
      print join("\t", @split[7..8], $split[6],
$split[4]>$split[5]?$split[4]:$split[5], '#', '#', @split[2..3],
@split[0..1], '#', $split[6]), "\n";
}

For PROmer you'll need to change the print statement to:
print join("\t", @split[11..12], $split[6], $length, '#', '#',
@split[2..3], @split[0..1], '#', $split[7]), "\n";

Hope this helps,
Roy.

Bossers, Alex wrote:
Hello all,

I am a big fan of artemis and have ported some of my annotation files
automatically to it.

Currently I am interested in doing multiple genome comparisons. I
know I can use webact or double act to generate big_blast alignments
which should be appropriate for opening in ACT. However, I have been
working with mummer (nucmer in particular) and even though the
artemis/act "manual" tells I should be able to open them I can
nowhere find which files to use (they all seem to fail). Do I need to
run mummer with specific options or do I need a differentparser for
that?

Thanks for any help..... this is already costing me several nights to
find out :-(

Alex