Hi Torsten, Stefanie,

>> You could open up the EMBL file and select all CDS features. Then from the
>> File menu -> Write -> Amino Acids of Selected Features to Qualifier. This
>> will add the /translation qualifier to the selected features. You can then
>> save that out.
>
> Wow - I learn a new feature of Artemis every week! (even after 7 years
> of part time use)
>
> Related question 1 - is there any option to output them with the first
> amino acid changed to "M" (Met) as is true for most bacterial proteins
> ?

It is obviously based on the translation table that can be selected from the
Options menu in the window that opens when you run Artemis.

> Related question 2 - will the EMBL file Stefanie creates via GFF+Fasta
> have a valid parseable EMBL header (the first line) ?

Actually writing EMBL format from GFF does not work at the moment! It writes
out GFF even though EMBL is selected. I have put a fix in the development
version which you can get a copy of from:

ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub4/resources/software/artemis/v12/v12.0.1/

(It makes a conversion based on the mappings in etc/key_mapping and
etc/qualifier_mapping). Alternatively look at EMBOSS to do this.

As for the header, Yealing is correct, you use the 'Add EMBL Header'
checkbox ( on the right hand side next to the folder file list).

Regards
Tim