Hey Terry I currently have a rock solid, fanless, diskless, low power firewall build and astersik build running on the alix platform. (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d3.htm)

I find it funny that a ups can be made out of a 9v rechargeable battery that lasts a solid 5 minutes with this rig.

I don't use trixbox, however I have a customized version of freeBSD which ive stripped down for embedded systems.(has php,web,and asterisk)

SSD's :) ive played with plenty and killed many. If you are planning on building a true embedded system SSD's are a good way to go however you'll need to know indepth about the operating system file layouts and what applications you are going to run.

You'll want to make frequently written portions of the filesystem memory based so they dont impact performance or the life of the SSD.

If you want to pop by my office and take a look at the different embedded systems ive built over the past year or so feel free to do so :)

Regards,

Philip Mullis.

Terry D. Cudney wrote:
Hi all,

   Following up on this thread...Stephan, Philip, or anyone else...

   What has your testing/experience with these machines revealed? Which one
works best with asterisk, ideally without fans, without hdd/cdrom, without
noise, removing the moving parts from the equation? Using CF, SD or usb flash
drive, what is the life expectancy of these ssd's?

   Has anyone tried the MSI Nettop 100 dual-core atom? Opinions pro/con the
windpc (single-core)?

   Thanks in advance for any comments/experiences.

   --terry