I don't use live tv, but the hdhr/mythtv setup does just save the stream and play it back. Since the frontend can handle the data load by playing back live tv, I'm thinking it's a myth setting regarding playback of other content. No specific settings come to mind however.

Exactly what happens when trying to play back a recording? And is it all channels form the hdhr?

I had/have a problem on one channel (10 in San Diego delivered from Cox), where Live TV works just fine but recorded tv did not work. It is something happening at the very start of the recording that causes errors in the stream.

The only fix I found was to have myth transcode it using the mpeg2 flag which just cleans up the stream and it works after that. So everything I record on that channel must be run through the cleaner before myth will play it. But this is only on that one channel. And other players, namely vlc, could play it just fine (although it does log the errors from the stream).

See if it's all channels that do this for you, and see if another player can play your recorded ts files.

Robert