"you would not believe how long and how many permutations I when
through before conceiving that fix for stable XvMC usage"

Thanks Scott :)

I had to post again to correct some errors in my instructions. I said
to do this:

   sudo apt-get install xorg mythtv-frontend alsa-utils nvidia-glx-180
nvidia-common --no-install-recommends

If you do this, the nvidia driver will not build and when you try to
start x windows you'll get some error like:

   Failed to load module "nvidia"

You should do these as separate installs (I think the no-install-
recommends is causing the issue):

        sudo apt-get install xorg mythtv-frontend alsa-utils --no-install-
recommends
        sudo apt-get install nvidia-common
        sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-180

If you followed my crappy directions (like I did in setting up my
second atv), you can undo it by doing this:

   sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-common nvidia-glx-180
   sudo apt-get autoremove --purge

Now you can do it the right way.

   sudo apt-get install nvidia-common
   sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-180

---------

Couple more bugs in my directions - edit your licrd.conf file after
creating and renaming it, and change the name field to Apple_IR:

   name Apple_IR

To test your IR buttons use the following command:

   irw /dev/lircd

Finally, it looks like there's a bug in mythtv where scaling is being
applied even though the settings indicate otherwise. Go to Settings-
>TV Settings->Playback and change the horiz and vert scaling values to
-5. Save the settings and watch TV. Go back to the settings and set
the scaling value back to zeroes. This seems to fix the issue.