When it locks up, the mythfrontend proc is using just about all of the
CPU. 80-99.9%. Ouch! You are correct, there are typically only 2 procs
using the lion's share of the cpu and memory (xorg and mythfrontend).

That said, it looks like my remaining issue with lockups is due to my
~mythtv/.mythtv/session script not getting fired, obviously due to the
way that I'm launching the frontend. Because of this, the nvidia card
is not getting underclocked and is probably causing my lock up
problems. To fix this, I modified the ~mythtv/.xinitrc to include what
was in the .mythtv/session script. The result looks like this:

        xset -dpms
        xset s off
        nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1 > nvidia.log
        nvidia-settings -a GPU2DClockFreqs=200,760 >> nvidia.log
        mythfrontend > mythfrontend.log

You can verify that the nvidia-settings is working properly by looking
at the resulting "nvidia.log". it should contain something like:

        Attribute 'GPUOverclockingState' (appletv:0.0) assigned value 1.
        Attribute 'GPU2DClockFreqs' (appletv:0.0) assigned value 200,760.

I'm hoping this is it and I can consider my efforts a success!

Bruce