Arash Esbati wrote (Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 09:45:17AM +0100):
> Mandar Mitra <mandar.mi...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When I run cal-tex-cursor-month in calendar mode, I'm supposed to get
> > a LaTeX calendar buffer for the month the cursor is on. This works as
> > expected with emacs -Q, but in my setup (using auctex), I'm getting a
> > "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil" error.
>
> I tried your recipe with my setup and get no error.  I did:
>
>   • Start Emacs with my setup (no -Q)
>   • eval'ed (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook #'turn-on-reftex)
>   • M-x calendar RET t m
>
> I get a latex buffer which is in LaTeX mode defined in tex-mode.el and
> not the mode provided by AUCTeX.  I'm using the latest version for
> AUCTeX git repo.

Thanks! That makes sense: the source of my error is the TeX-master-file
function, so you don't run into the error because AUCTeX doesn't get activated
for you.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how is it that you get the inbuilt
latex-mode in a .tex buffer rather than AUCtex, even with AUCtex installed?

After digging some more, it appears that I have some kind of advice that
overrides latex-mode with TeX-latex-mode.el. This is what C-h m shows in the
calendar.tex buffer:

The major mode is LaTeX/FPS mode defined in tex-mode.el:

This function has :override advice: ‘TeX-latex-mode’.

This is an :override advice, which means that ‘latex-mode’ isn’t
run at all, and the documentation below may be irrelevant.

grep and family didn't provide any hints about where I might have done this:
all hits for TeX-latex-mode are inside elpa/auctex-13.2.4. I don't suppose
you'd have any suggestions about how/where to look?

Thanks,
Mandar.