Apologies for the noise. A file named article.el sitting around in my
TeX-auto-local directory was the root of the problem (I must have written an
article.tex at some point of time). After deleting the file, auctex's "real"
article.el is called and things work as expected.

Arash Esbati wrote (Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 11:46:28AM +0100):
> This is what I also want to find out.  One reason can be the recent
> changes to AUCTeX with this commit[1].  Other can be the way you've
> installed AUCTeX and/or configured it.  Therefore my question if you can
> come up with a minimal setup starting with 'emacs -Q'.

Many thanks to you for suggesting this disciplined approach, and edebug for
helping me locate the problem!

-mandar