Mandar Mitra <mandar.mi...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks! That makes sense: the source of my error is the
> TeX-master-file function, so you don't run into the error because
> AUCTeX doesn't get activated for you.
>
> Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how is it that you get the
> inbuilt latex-mode in a .tex buffer rather than AUCtex, even with
> AUCtex installed?

This is what I also want to find out.  One reason can be the recent
changes to AUCTeX with this commit[1].  Other can be the way you've
installed AUCTeX and/or configured it.  Therefore my question if you can
come up with a minimal setup starting with 'emacs -Q'.

I'm using the latest git version directly out of the git repo, no
installation etc. with Emacs 30.0.50 (21e272fe4f).

> After digging some more, it appears that I have some kind of advice
> that overrides latex-mode with TeX-latex-mode.el. This is what C-h m
> shows in the calendar.tex buffer:

> The major mode is LaTeX/FPS mode defined in tex-mode.el:
>
> This function has :override advice: ‘TeX-latex-mode’.
>
> This is an :override advice, which means that ‘latex-mode’ isn’t
> run at all, and the documentation below may be irrelevant.

That seems Ok, it was the way it was done before the change mentioned
above.  Now it looks like this when I open a .tex file:

The major mode is LaTeX/P mode defined in latex.el:

Major mode in AUCTeX for editing LaTeX files.
See info under AUCTeX for full documentation.

Entering LaTeX mode calls the value of ‘text-mode-hook’,
then the value of ‘TeX-mode-hook’, and then the value
of ‘LaTeX-mode-hook’.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]