Greetings,

On 27 February 2010 17:49, Tony Wright <ton...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

<snip>

> So if you don’t believe any scientist can be credible, who do you believe
> in? Only the ones with a neo-conservative agenda? Only ones that agree with
> your point of view? That is, the 5 in 100 scientists that don’t believe in
> climate change? Perhaps American Spectator, a newspaper considered
> right-wing in a country that we consider further to the right, funded by
> Richard Scaife, the principal air to the Mellon Banking, Oil and Aluminium
> fortune?

But this is how the majority of the general public choose the side they are
going to agree with. It's human nature.

Science is about facts and measurements and exposing your theories, along
with your data and methodology, to critical peer review, and taking your
lumps and revising your theory until you have a strong proposition that is
acceptably close to the truth.

You are not supposed to believe _in_ a scientist. That stinks of cultism.
You are supposed to be convinced by the quality of his/her research. It
should not be about personality and charisma. Copernicus recanted, Isaac
Newton was a prat and Thomas Edison seldom washed.

I'm afraid I don't believe any of the xGW crowd, from either side. I do
wonder why it is such an issue at the moment. I do, however, believe the
following:-

1. Global warming (and cooling) is inevitable. It has happened before. Get
used to it.

2. Pouring all the carbon dioxide, that was laid down in the Carboniferous
period, back into the atmosphere is probably not a good idea. (Although I
have red that global temperatures during this period were very, very low in
spite of the high levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide).

3. Greenland was inhabited and farmed before, and probably will be again.

4. The Northwest passage was safe for shipping before, and probably will be
again.

--
noonie