Hi there,

I am currently making a scientific application web service ready. Since the data that gets transferred can be quite big, I am looking for a good solution to make the SOAP messages small.

The input data, which consist mainly of doubles is usually given in binary files. I can use WS-Attachments to transfer those files, but I also have an RPC version, which sends human readable messages with ASCII data. Sadly, the blow-up using RPC style is just incredible, so I am looking into possibilities to make the SOAP messages smaller and still retain clearer interface and easy debugging using RPC.

What techniques can I use to compress the data? Is there a better approach then just send binary files? Is it possible to use RPC, but have the doubles sent as binary?

TIA,
Chris