Just to ensure that the environment is alright, did you try building
and running the samples/ejb in axis?

As you mentioned, the issue could be with code generation (java2wsdl,
wsdl2java). What errors did you get when you ran WSDL2Java? Need to
resolve issues with the EJB classes to run Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java
properly.

In the worst case, you might need to handcraft the WSDL file and run WSDL2Java.

-- Venkat