On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 03:51:45PM +0100, J?rg Walter wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24. January 2007 13:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if it would be possible to contribute to the project a
> > mysql db app? They don't come more dynamic than a db app :)
>
> Did you solve the problem of asynchronous queries? I think that was the main
> problem last time. You can't do DB queries like you use to do them in
> mod_perl, because the process may be blocked for several seconds on complex
> queries. And blocking AxKit2 means _nothing_ is served in that time.

The MySQL client library is crap in this regard.

The pgsql client (and protocol) is based on asynchronous message passing,
and it's extremely easy to multiplex SQL statements. I've done this in
several single-threaded Perl applicatoins useing libevent/Event::Lib.

For MySQL (and any other difficult database), you'd ideally use a thread
pool, or more likely a process pool. The latter case sucks, because then you
basically have to reinvent another SQL client protocol.