Hey Ged,
   Thanks for your help

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 10:41 AM G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users <
backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2020, Mariano Aliaga wrote:
> > tar:974  Fatal: Can't translate pathname './Ajuste Inflaci?n
> A?o2019.xps' to UTF-8
> > ... So I wonder if this is a known bug, it's smbclient, backuppc,
> > tar or what? Is there some known workaround? I'd appreciate any help
> > you could give.
>
> I think it's a message from 'tar'.  (That's because that's what it says. :)

Yeah, but as tar is "feeded" by smbclient, and similar errors where
pointing to samba, I tried with that.

> It's not what I'd call a bug, it's the unfortunate result of the many
> changes to the capabilities of both utilties and filesystems over the
> time that they've been in use.  There can be ambiguities when strings
> are translated between some character sets, and you really don't want
> that kind of ambiguity in file names.
>
> What's your output from 'locale'?

This is for backuppc user now (but I tried en_US.UTF-8 and others):

$ locale
LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=es_ES.UTF-8

$ locale charmap
UTF-8

Just a stab in the dark but you might try UTF-16, as mentioned here:

> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/tar-cant-translate-pathname.32262/

I tried but doesn't work (and doesn't seem to be valid on current
FreeBSD's). No matter what locale I set, always get the same error: can't
translate ... to UTF-8

> Life was so simple when everything was done with 7-bit ASCII codes...

So true

> --
>
> 73,
> Ged.