On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 11:36 AM backuppc--- via BackupPC-users
<backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Right, I guess I should have mentioned that I don't trust that old HDD
> anymore. Plus keeping backups of two old clients that only exist in BackupPC
> has been a bad idea because if my backups get corrupted or deleted, I don't
> have the original data to fall back to anymore.

There are straightforward solutions to that.  Like using dd or
ddrescue to clone the HD partition to a newer one.  Or using
backuppc's archive facility to make a tar image of each system.  Or,
given the disk space and time, use your VM with the mounted HD to
restore into VM images of the old machines, perhaps one at a time and
perhaps renamed to avoid conflict with the existing ones.  Then let
your current backuppc system back them up.   If there is considerable
overlap with the existing files the dedup might end up saving a lot of
space.